Traditional Roast Turkey With Paula’s Gravy
By Paula Deen
- Prep time: 30 minutes
- Cook time: 30 minutes
- Servings: 30
- 1 (12-14 lb) thawed if frozen turkey
- olive oil
- 1 stick butter
- to taste Paula Deen's House Seasoning
- 2 quartered onions
- 1 heads halved crosswise garlic
- several sprigs (thyme, parsley, rosemary and sage) fresh herbs
- 1 cup melted unsalted butter
- 2 cups made from a chicken broth base chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 hardboiled and sliced eggs
Preheat oven to 325º. Prepare rack inside roasting pan.
Season the inside and outside of turkey with olive oil, butter and house seasoning.
Place onion, garlic and herb sprigs insides cavity.
Place turkey breast-side up on rack in large roasting pan. Brush with half of butter. Truss, if desired.
Tent turkey with foil, roast 2 hours. Remove foil, brush with remaining butter. Increase oven temperature to 425º. Roast turkey until meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh away from bone registers 165º, about 45 minutes. Tent with foil during last 15 minutes of cooking time if browning too quickly. Let stand 15 minutes before carving.
For the gravy: Skim and discard fat from pan juices. Place roasting pan with 1 1/2 cups juices over medium heat. Add white wine, broth, chopped thyme and black pepper, stirring up browned bits from bottom of the pan. Simmer 3 minutes.
Stir together cornstarch and 1/3 cup water. Strain gravy into small pot over low heat, gradually whisk in cornstarch mixture. Simmer stirring, until thickened, 2 minutes.