Roasted Beet Salad with Cocoa Vinaigrette
By Paula Deen
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 10 minutes
- Servings: 10
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons, divided olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon divided salt
- 1/2 teaspoon divided black pepper
- 6 small washed and peeled beets
- 1 (5 oz) bag bag spring mix salad greens
- 2 peeled and sectioned oranges
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup cacao nibs
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, salt and pepper. Brush the beets with the olive oil mixture, then wrap them in aluminum foil and arrange on a baking sheet. Bake until fork tender, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool in the foil. Slice the beets and set aside.
Evenly divide the salad greens, orange sections, walnuts, goat cheese, red onion and beets between 4 salad plates. Top each salad with 2 tablespoons of cacao nibs. Drizzle with Cocoa Vinaigrette just before serving.
In a small bowl, add the vinegar, cocoa powder, sugar, salt and pepper and whisk until smooth. Slowly add the oil, whisking constantly, until blended.
Yield: about 1/2 cup