Pork and Green Chile Stew
By Paula Deen
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 10 minutes
- Servings: 10
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 lb excess fat trimmed, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces boneless pork shoulder
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped poblano pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeño pepper
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (16 oz) jar tomatillo salsa
- 1 (15.5 oz) jar drained and rinsed hominy
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Preheat the oven to 325 °F.
In a large oven-safe Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the salt and cumin over the pork. Working in batches, add the pork to the pan and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes per batch. Remove and set aside.
In the same pot, add the onions, poblano pepper, jalapeño and garlic, and cook until the onion softens, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken broth, salsa, hominy and pork. Cover and bake until the pork is tender, about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Skim any fat from the top. Stir in the cilantro and serve.