By Tricia Yearwood
- 1 1/2 quarts for frying peanut oil
- 1 1/2 cups self rising cornmeal
- 1 cup self rising flour
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (7 oz) can drained or 3/4 cup fresh jalapeños, seeded and finely diced diced jalapeño peppers
- 1 (15 oz) can creamed corn
- 2 large lightly beaten eggs
- to taste salt
- freshly ground, to taste black pepper
Heat the oil to 350â¢. in a deep-fryer or Dutch oven.
In a 1-quart mixing bowl, stir the cornmeal, flour, onion, jalapeño, corn, and eggs, until blended. Allow to stand 5 minutes.
Drop the batter by teaspoonfuls into the hot oil. Don’t overcrowd; leave room for the hushpuppies to be turned. Cook the hushpuppies until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Keep the cooked hushpuppies warm in an oven while cooking the remaining batter. Lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper, to taste, and transfer them to a serving dish. Serve with Paula Deen’s Sweet and Spicy Chili Sauce, if desired.