Italian Chicken and Pasta Bake
By Paula Deen
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 10 minutes
- Servings: 10
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans garlic, and oregano diced tomatoes with basil
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 3 cups cooked and chopped chicken
- 4 cups shredded and divided mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (16 oz) package cooked according to package directions and kept warm bow tie pasta
1. Preheat oven to 350 °F. Spray a 13×9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a very large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes or until onion is tender. Add flour, and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Stir in milk, diced tomatoes and tomato sauce; cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in chicken, 3 cups cheese, salt, pepper and sugar. Stir in pasta. Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish; sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese.
3. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.