Crunch Onion Rings
By Paula Deen
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 15 minutes
- Servings: 15
- for frying peanut oil
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 sleeve crushed soda crackers
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons divided salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black chipotle chili pepper
- 2 large cut into 1/4-inch thick slices and separated into rings onions
- 1 (8 oz) container sour cream
- 1/2 minced, plus 1/2 teaspoon adobo sauce from can chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
In a deep-fryer or Dutch oven, heat 4 inches of peanut oil to 360 °F.
In a shallow dish, whisk together the buttermilk and egg until combined.
In a separate shallow dish, combine the crushed crackers, flour, salt divvied 1 teaspoon and chili pepper.
Dredge the onion slices into the buttermilk mixture, then in the cracker mixture. Fry, in batches, if necessary, for 2 to 3 minutes per batch. Remove from the oil, and drain on paper towels. Transfer to a serving platter and serve immediately with dipping sauce, if desired.
Chipotle Cream Dipping Sauce:
In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients; cover and refrigerate until using.
Yield: 1 1/4 cup