Temperatures are rising, and the sun is shining! During the spring and summer, we spend more time outside with our friends and family soaking up all the Vitamin D, playing sport,s and breathing fresh air. All the fun can get us dehydrated, so increasing our water intake is something that we need to be aware of.
To maintain our high energy levels and to keep our cravings under control, snacking should have a place in our diets, especially during this time of the year.
Here are some simple ideas that will keep you hydrated and energized during these hot summer days:
1. A piece of fresh fruit. Opt for those that have a higher water content, like melons and oranges. You’ll be consuming tons of vitamins and minerals while keeping cravings under control.
2. Just blend some fruit with water or coconut water, pour the mix into popsicle molds, freeze, and enjoy. These frozen treats will make you feel like you are indulging and will cool you off while increasing your water intake.
3. Avocado toast. This makes for a great meal or snack. Toast a slice of sprouted grain bread or a brown rice cake. Top it with half of a mashed avocado mixed with lemon juice, sea salt, and pepper.
4. Homemade chunky tomato salsa. Indulge with a few organic corn tortilla chips, or add it to your salads or on top of your avocado toast.
5. A smoothie! Mix your favorite frozen fruits, leafy greens, and coconut water. One of my favorite combos is pineapple, cucumber, and spinach—a very refreshing and detoxifying mix!
Whatever you choose, just make sure to stay hydrated by incorporating more fruits into your diet, increasing your water intake by at least 2 glasses of water a day, and by including coconut water for some extra electrolytes!